Excessive Heat Safety and Relief Strategy (10/02/23)
As Arizona had an unprecedented extreme heat situation this summer, ADCRR committed to doing everything possible to manage our facilities in the safest, coolest, and most efficient manner for our staff and the inmate population. ADCRR worked tirelessly to respond to and mitigate the emergent issues as they came up. Looking ahead, we are shifting our focus to planning and preparing for next summer’s temperatures in an effort to prevent unbearable heat situations.
Now that the days and nights are getting cooler, the following actions will be taken to shift away from the Excessive Heat Safety and Relief Strategy. These actions will become effective October 10, 2023:
- Outdoor activities will reconvene as dictated by unit schedule with no restrictions.
- Daily schedules, to include showers, will resume as dictated by unit schedule.
- Ice water in coolers will continue to be available in recreation areas.
- Grooming requirements will be reverted to the language in DO 704.
- Bag ice will need to be purchased from the commissary.
- The temporary misting systems will be removed and a more permanent solution will be explored.
- Handcuff ports and/or cell doors will remain secured during required times.
We appreciate your patience, flexibility, and understanding during the difficult excessive heat warnings this past summer!